I hope y’all are reading some great books lately. Today is my blog tour stop Shifting of Stars ( Of Stars #1) by Kathy Kimbray and it will be featuring my review attached with an international giveaway at the end of the post.
Title: A Shifting of Stars
Author: Kathy Kimbray
Publication date: 28 May 2019
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy
A squandering emperor. A handsome stranger. A reluctant heroine. And the ancient magic that will capsize a kingdom.
Seventeen-year-old Meadow Sircha watched her mother die from the wilting sickness. Tormented by the knowledge that the emperor failed to import the medicine that would have saved her, she speaks out at a gathering of villagers, inciting them to boycott his prized gladiator tournament.
But doing so comes at a steep cost.
Arrested as punishment for her impulsive tongue, Meadow finds herself caught up in the kind of danger she’s always tried to avoid. After a chance meeting with an enigmatic boy, she’s propelled on a perilous trek across the outer lands. But she soon unearths a staggering secret: one that will shift her world—and the kingdom—forever.
Filled with longing and heart, surprise and wonder, A SHIFTING OF STARS is perfect for fans of AN EMBER IN THE ASHES, RED QUEEN and SHADOW AND BONE.
Rating : 4.5 stats.
Review : Ah Kathy! What have you done to my heart. I just finished the book an hour ago and I am still reeling with my emotions. I need the sequel now!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had my share of fantasy books considering it is my most read genre and I’ve probably come across all the tropes there are. So, when I started reading ” A SHIFTING OF STARS”,I wasn’t expecting new to be honest! I wouldn’t say I dislike a cliched trope but to be able to read something different is a totally overwhelming experience. And this book gave me that and so much more. So much.
Meadow Sircha is dealing with the grief of her mother’s death caused due to the deadly wilting sickness, an epidemic that has claimed hundreds of lifes in the kingdom. Meadow blames the irresponsible nature of the ruler and his son as the cause of these deaths and to show her dissent she joins the Gathering, a place to let out your thoughts. Soon, she is apprehended by Malthe,the king’s son and is accused of treason. As she is put behind the bars she experiences all the politics, the secrets, the torture that takes place with the king’s palace. Would Meadow be able to break out? Would she be able to put a full stop to the atrocities inflicted my Malthe and his father?
“It feels like what we are to each other is incomplete,it’s unfinished, it’s wrong. Like we could be something more with time, but he slips through my fingers and I cannot hold on. He’s adrift to me and I am to him and I haven’t the answers to make this right”
The story commences in a very turbulent atmosphere almost like a dystopian world and proceeds throughout the book. The author’s extravagant writing style kept me on the edge from the very first line until the end. The court politics, the power packed action scenes, the angst Meadow felt against the people of her kingdom are written with absolute detail. To be honest, I couldn’t have asked for a better world building and the character arc of Meadow has been done with perfection.
“Her stars have shifted to a new, unchatered universe.”
We get to see how Meadow grows from a rather gullible or should I say someone who cares only about her dad to a fierce and selfless person. I absolutely felt empathy for Meadow, our protagonist who is put to test every step of her journey. I have never related to a character’s decisions as much as I did with Meadow. The love she has for her father, is something that stood out for me as we don’t really get to see that in books of this particular genre as they often put romance to take the spotlight. Also, Vogel and Anai aaaaaaaaahhhhh you gotta feel for these too. At various instances I had to calm my nerves down and keep on reading because I couldn’t even comprehend what mess the characters were getting into.
” What made you change your mind?” asks Carliss.
I cannot tell her the truth. “Love”
With a very fast paced beginning,the book however I felt slowed down a little in the middle but that somehow didn’t deter my interest. The book also screams mystery, intrigue and action and is an absolute firecracker in terms of twists and turns. The plot twists were absolutely unpredictable and I have no idea how the author managed to connect the characters with such precision beautifully. It is often difficult to figure out who are on the good side and those on the bad and that is something that I really liked. Although, the book definitely quenched my thirst for fantasy, I would have given my everything to know how the magic actually worked. But I guess we shall have to wait for the second book, for the unanswered questions.
About the author : Kathy Kimbray is a YA author from Australia.
After graduating from the University of Technology, Sydney, with a degree in Media Arts and Production, she went on to complete postgraduate studies in education and spent many years as a primary school teacher.
Now a full-time novelist, Kathy is lucky to be able to tell stories every day.
Aside from writing, Kathy is an avid reader, dancer, language learner, musical theater enthusiast and fan of terrible reality TV. She lives with her husband in Sydney, and dreams of one day owning that elusive chateau in France.
Author website — https://www.kathykimbray.com/
Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/kathykimbray/
Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/AuthorKathyKimbray
Twitter — https://twitter.com/kathykimbray
I am incredibly grateful to Caffeine Blog Tours for letting me on the tour and providing me a copy of the book.
GIVEAWAY INFORMATION :
Prize: One (1) signed paperback copy of A Shifting of Stars and one (1) Amazon gift card worth 10 USD (two winners: one for the paperback, one for the gift card)
There is also going to be a Twitter Chat happening on Saturday, July 13th, hosted by @CaffeineTours and you can follow using the hashtag #CBTTC. It will start at 10am Eastern Standard Time (9pm Philippine Time). I invite you to take part in this chat, all about A Shifting of Stars!
Be sure to check out all the blog tour stops to hear more about the novel! 💜💚
July 07 (Sunday)
- Blog tour launch (from Shut up, Shealea)
- Review & excerpt from Becky’s Book Blog
- Review from Bemused Bibliophile
- Review from Book Reviews from Canada
- Review & excerpt from Polish & Paperbacks
- Review from SepiaReads
July 08 (Monday)
- Review & favorite quotes from A Book Devourer
- Review, aesthetics/moodboard, & favorite quotes from The Book Piles
- Review, author interview, & excerpt from The Inked In Book Blog
- Review, author interview, & favorite quotes from Luchia Houghton Blog
- Review & favorite quotes from Tempest of Books
July 09 (Tuesday)
- Author interview (from Shut up, Shealea)
- Review & favorite quotes from bewitchingwords
- Review & author interview from The Infernal Fangirl’s Heaven
- Review & creative photos from Lost in Fiction
- Review & favorite quotes from Provocatrix
- Review, author interview, & own playlist from Sage Shelves
July 10 (Wednesday)
- Review & creative feature post from A Bronx Latina Reads
- Review & creative feature post from Annotated Paperbacks
- Review from Lori’s Bookshelf Reads
- Review, creative feature post, & own quote graphics from Sakhile Whispers
- Review, creative feature post, creative photos, & favorite quotes from Starlight Reads
July 11 (Thursday)
- Creative post (from Shut up, Shealea)
- Review, author interview, creative photos, & own quote graphics from Belle’s Archive
- Review, aesthetics/moodboard, creative feature post, & creative photos from The Bookish Mrs. Harding
- Review, creative photos, & own quote graphics from BookishOwl Reviews
- Review, creative feature post, & favorite quotes from Oro Plata Myta
- Review, creative feature post, creative photos, & favorite quotes from Your Words My Ink
July 12 (Friday)
- Review, aethetics/moodboard, creative feature post, creative photos, & own art from & she Reads
- Review, aesthetics/moodboard, own quote graphics, & own playlist from A Few Chapters ‘til Love
- Review, excerpt, & own quote graphics from Bookish Kimberly
- Review, creative feature post, own quote graphics, & own playlist from Celuna Maria
- Review, favorite quotes, & own art from Read at Night
July 13 (Saturday)
- #CBTTC Twitter chat hosted by @CaffeineTours
- 10:00 AM Eastern Standard Time (EST)
- 9:00 PM Philippine Time
AND HERE IS G, SIGNING OFF!!!!!!!!
KEEP READING, KEEP DREAMING!